Friday, January 17, 2020

TIPS FOR COMPLETING DISABILITY FORMS

Social Security loves forms like a bee loves honey!

But they can be confusing and exhausting.  Easy to put off or just neglect.

However, if you don't complete your forms (and complete them well), you won't get a benefit check.  Here are a few tips that may help you knock out the forms and do a good job.


  • Prioritize and start with your most severe medical condition
  • Be specific:  Not "I can't stand very long," but say "I can only stand about 10 minutes due to the pain in my lower back and legs."  (How long and where it hurts).
  • Include all medical conditions, most serious first, more minor ones last
  • List medication side effects, such as drowsiness, dizziness, nausea, etc.
  • Try to relate each functional limitation to a medical cause.  Example:  "I only sleep 3 or 4 hours each night and this causes me to be very tired the next day."
  • Try to get a Medical Source Statement from your doctor that details your specific limitations in function (sitting, standing, walking, bending, lifting, memory, etc.)
  • Work with a partner to complete the forms; your spouse, adult son or daughter, or even a close friend who will sit down with you and help motivate you and check your answers.



  • WEAK ANSWER:  "I can't work because I'm in pain and I have to lie down a lot during the day."  

  • STRONG ANSWER:  "I have lower back, hip and leg pain that averages 8/10 most days; I also get so tired that I must lie down 2 or 3 times during the day and rest for 45 minutes to an hour each time."



No comments:

Post a Comment